To investigate how the River Basin Management Approach, in line with the objectives of the Myanmar National Water Framework Directive can be used as a legal and administrative framework for IWRM in Myanmar. The purpose is how this can be further replicated in other basins in the country.
The National Water Resources Committee (NWRC), the national APEX body for the governance and management of water resources in Myanmar adopted the Myanmar National Water Framework Directive in 2014. This directive which is a policy framework includes seven principles (sub-directives referring to the aim of implementing the river basin management approach in Myanmar. The MNWFD also refers to biological, chemical, hydro-morphological water quality elements and the aim of reaching good ecological status (healthy river). The aim is to gain a broad basis of experience from implementing the approach in Myanmar. Based on such experiences, national operational rules and regulations can be developed in Myanmar.
- Continuation of River basin management approach in Bago Sub-basin after adopting Bago River Sub-basin Management Plan.
- River basin management in Shwe Kyin River Sub-basin, including practical water management tasks.
- Implementation of the River Basin Management Approach in the Upper Part of the Sittaung River Basin Area;
- Involvement of Non-Governmental Stakeholders across different ethnic groups
- Coordination across authorities of Bago and Shwe Kyin River Sub-basins,
- Piloting the River Basin Management Approach in Taninthary River Basin Area, a different eco-region
Publications from first (2015-2018) and second phase (2019-2023) of the programme
- Framework notes and recommendations for Integrated Water Resource Management in Myanmar (2016). NIVA-report 7027-2016.
- A proposal for an administrative set up of river basin management in the Sittaung River Basin (2016). NIVA-report 7103-2016.
- Characterization of the Bago Subbasin Pilot implementing the EU Water Framework Directive (2017). NIVA-report 7194-2017
- Environmental objectives and abatement measures for a healthy Bago River, A contribution to the Bago River Sub-basin Management Plan (2018). NIVA-report 7271-2018.
- Bago River Sub-basin Management Plan. NIVA report 7290-2018
- Piloting river basin management in the Bago Sub-basin, experiences and recommendations (2018). NIVA-rapport 7304-2018.
- Ingrid Nesheim, Bente Wathne, Bo Ni and Zaw Lwin Tun (2016). Myanmar: Pilot introducing the National Water Framework Directive, Water Solutions vol. 1 2016 pp. 18-27.
- Ingrid Nesheim, Zaw Lwin Tun, Toe Aung, Hla Oo Nwe (2017). Pilot introducing the river basin management approach in Sittaung River Basin/Myanmar, Water Solutions vol. 3 2017 pp. 81-86.
- Bago Sub-basin Management Plan (in Myanmar language)
- Bago River Sub-basin Management Plan
- Policy Brief: The River Basin Management Approach in the Sittaung River Basin